Sunday 20 January 2013

Maya Doves and the Cities of Light - Part 2

Yaxchillan

Aluna says,"Yaxchillan is the Earth centre of the five cities of light and represents balance. It is hidden deep in the jungle between Guatemala and Mexico on the Usumacinta River. The ancient name for the city was probably Pa'chan. Yaxchillan which means 'green stones' in Maya. The site is particularly well known for its well preserved, sculptured stone lintels set above the doorways of the main structures. These lintels contain hieroglyphic texts and imagery that describes deep shamanic practices.
"Yaxchillan teaches us about balance between the earthly world and the ethereal world. Its    mysteries are buried so deep, that it makes anyone who visits here dive deep within themselves. Here, described in its famous lintels, is the process of capturing, mastering and becoming free of one's individual ego. Once this state of consciousness is achieved,  we become one with all life."

 We made the trip up the river in groups of ten in small boats which was navigated expertly by one of the locals. Every now and again he deliberately spun the boat a little out of control; he had to have his fun and it was wonderful to feel that little bit out of control; especially for an Earth Element whose main challenge is to let go of the need to control.

I even caught the cheeky grin which he shared with me when he realized I understood what he has doing, having spent many years on white water in various boats and canoes. It was interesting each time he let the boat go out of control some of the other passengers showed the odd sign of fear, which was perfect as the negative emotion of the Earth Element is fear and their greatest challenge is to learn to give up the need to control.
When we arrived on the Island the Howler Monkeys began to howl a sound that seemed to touch you at a very deep level. Again some of the others were starting to show signs of fear. The closer we moved towards the entrance the louder the howling became and the more hairs of fear were rising on the groups collective skin. We had heard Howler Monkeys in Palenque but they must have been their quiet cousins. The thought that came to my mind was the wail of the banshees. Whatever fear you needed to go beyond was heightened by the sound of the Howler Monkeys. The monkeys were challenging us to go beyond our fears. If you have ever heard them you will know what I mean, they are damn loud, but there is a beauty underneath their howling, it is the essence of the monkey and it is almost melodic and touched me very deeply.

Once inside the entrance we had to walk through the Labyrinth. It was a doorway which lead into darkness; a darkness so black that you just had to trust in yourself and let any idea of being in control to drop away. You could not see where you were going and yet no one put on their torch; it was as if the whole group understood that the challenge of Yaxchillan was to give up the need to control and trust in the process that spirit was now offering us. With the end of the Mayan calendar we were experiencing no time, an opportunity to create the world that we wanted to live in, but to do so we had to move beyond the elements. Not so much by disregarding them but understanding their lesson and allowing the elements to be come a part of them.

I must admit I loved Yaxchillan as I had spent much of the last twenty years working to go beyond my many fears; skydiving, fire walking, abseiling - you name it I have tried to do to go beyond my fears and in the end I realized it was not my fears but the fears of my ego and how it saw the world. Yaxchillan is such a cool place. It is much smaller than the sites like Tikal or Chchen Itza, but of those who have the eyes to see and the ears to heart and the heart to feel it is an amazing place.
As we wandered through the rest of the site I felt that my own Earth Aspect seemed now to be at peace and I looked forward to Tikal where I was sure the Element of Fire had more in store for me.

Tikal


Aluna says, "Tikal is the Fire aspect of the cities of light. It is a place of power and nature. Tikal is one of the world's true wonders. In Tikal you can learn about power, but also about the mind and consciousness. The Mayans believe that Tikal is one of the most spiritually powerful places on the earth. Tikal possesses a certain quality of magic that fascinates and enchants. It stretches your mind and heart to hold more wisdom and light.
"The monumental site, with its towering pyramids, looms out of the misty jungle canopy like living sentinels of ancient times. The site speaks to those with open hearts. The ruins of Tikal include more than 3,000 structures extending over six square miles and includes palaces, temples, ceremonial platforms, ball courts, terraces, plazas, avenues and even steam baths. It is paradise."

For me Tikal was the highlight of the trip to the 5 Ancient Cities of Light.
I was drawn to the Maya trip because I knew that the Elements would allow me and those in the group to go through all of them and release the negative emotions of each of the Elements. In Palenque it had been easy as I must have done the Water Element in many previous incarnations. Standing in the monsoonal rain for hours while we did a number of ceremonies, it was easy to allow the water to wash over me and clear me of any emotions of frustration.

If Water was easy the next day at Yaxchillan was more difficult but not greatly so. We arrived at the Earth Element site only to be greeted by the sound of Howler Monkeys. For those not fortunate enough to have heard their sound, it is like the sound of whaling banshees or the devil. For those who were Earth and dealing with the element of fear there were scared shitless. Then on top of that we had to walk through a dark tunnel which we later found out was called the Labyrinth. For the Earth Elements they had to led go of the need to control and step into the dark. It was not easy for some and even for me the first couple seconds there was a momentary panic before I gave over to spirit and walked in the total blackness. When I appeared out the other side I felt free of the need to be in control.

If Yaxchillan was a challenge then Tikal just blew me away. We arrived at group 4 and there before us was the mouth of the dragon. I immediately began to shake as I felt this was to be an Important moment in my life. I knew why I had not been able to finish the final three chapters of the legend of the 33rd Sage. I had to walk into the mouth of the dragon and experience myself. When I came out through the other side I was changed forever. It was in that moments that I realized that the legend of the 33rd Sage was all about me. I was the young boy Huo in my story. Twenty eight years of living and working with the Elements and much of that time on the path of the Initiate. Tears began to run from my eyes and I was sighing and gently sobbing as I realized that the story was always about me. The essence of the 33rd sage is something that we can all tap into; for the 33 sages of the plum Red Robe exist within all of us.

Is there any wonder that since I booked on the Maya trip that The Way of the Initiate - Legend of the 33rd Sage had begun to materialize; for it was my story.
I had not stepped in through the mouth of the dragon and into myself. It was just like the character in my book I had to step through the dragon's mouth and this mouth just happened to be in Tikal. It was in the mouth of the dragon where I would come face to face with the other me; the me that I was to become.

Later on I was meditating standing in front of the Jaguar Temple when all of a sudden the heads which I had seen in visions and meditations over the last few days rushed at me again, only this time it was only one head and it was the head of the king of the Jaguar Temple and immediately he began downloading information to me. Information that was all too much and I spaced at completely. Although physically I was okay, I was mentally exhausted. Who knows what the future will bring. All I know is I have to finish The Way of the Initiate and The Legend of the 33rd Sage.

Rio Dulce

Aluna says, "Lake Izabal is surrounded by lush tropical rainforests inhabited by hundreds of bird species, monkeys and many other animals. The waters of the lake are rich in fish. Unique to that lake is the freshwater sea cow (Manatee); a mammal that can weigh up to one ton. It is the largest lake in Guatemala. It is 45 kilometers long and 590 square kilometers and in some parts is up to 50 feet deep. At its eastern end it drains into the Rio Dulce. I always like to take time here to relax and integrate the previous sites and prepare for the two most powerful sites in the Maya world."

It was Christmas day when we made the one and a half hour boat trip on the lake which lead to out rest stop for the night. The journey was filled with birds of all kinds who seem to be watching us on our journey. I was feeling totally relaxed on the boat as we made the journey across the lake. It is funny how the presence of water or mountains always seem to relax me and allow me to go deep within.

Although we only stayed one night at the hotel by the water if felt like a week as we and especially me was able to reflect on what had happened the previous few days.
Over dinner we were entertained by a local group of Caribbean singers and dancers. The food was okay, the music and dancing enjoyable, but what was even more special was they way this group of people had become so close in such a short time. It seemed like everyone had checked their egos at the door when they arrived on this trip; this is not to say that we all did not bring our individuality on the trip, we certainly did and the Aussies, one certain Pom and a little Mayan knew how to have fun and enjoy themselves. What was brilliant was that everyone accepted each other for who they were and where they were at. On some spiritual trips there seems to be one or two who want to show the others how spiritual they are, but on this trip there was a lot of support and love for fellow individuals on a great journey.

After dinner Aluna showed us that the moon was almost in conjunction with Jupiter and how it would be appropriate to ask for what we wanted to receive as Jupiter was the planet of abundance. I looked up at the moon almost in conjunction with Jupiter and rather than ask for money or material goods I heard myself asking for wisdom. Thirty years on the journey and I am still asking for wisdom and yet the request was what I truly want most, although a little more abundance would help the journey being a little easier.


Quirigua


Aluna says, "Quirigua is the Air aspect of the cities of light. The Maya have a traditional story that speaks about the day the Star Elders - the Invisible Council, left the earth plane for the last time (about 800 years ago). Quirigua is the site where this last exit took place. It is one of the smallest Mayan cities, but one of the most mysterious and powerful due to its splendid series of Star Elder monuments. These living, sandstone obelisks were created to mark important cosmic events. Each spectacular sculpture is that of a Star Elder and is adorned with symbolic information and encircled by gods and sacred animals. The sides and backs are etched with Maya calendar glyphs giving dates to significant events. The date of Quirigua's turning point in history is immortalized on a huge boulder known as Zoomorph G. Half a dozen of these curious rounded sculptures, resembling mythical and real animals are found in Quirigua. Some believe the Zoomorph is a map of the universe and contains necessary information needed to enter and exit the Earth's Hologram. The Acropolis, which was created out of white quartz crystal, amplifies the energy needed to generate these cosmic migrations.
"Quirigua has mesmerized countless travelers. British author Aldous Huxley, noted that Quirigua's Stela commemorate, '...human triumph over time and matter and the triumph of time and matter over man.'

"Qurigua is permeated with heart energy. Here we take the longest journey anyone can make. It is a journey of 13 inches. It is the journey from our mind to our heart. The power of the heart energy in this site, combined with a lightness of spirit, helps us allow this 13 inch journey to take place."

Interestingly as the Air Element, Quirigua is the place of the left brain mind. It is the summer and as we walked around the sandstone sculptures one could feel the heat of the air as there was very little cover from the elements. I always had difficulty with the heat of the day and I wonder whether it came from my difficulty with Air element people who I often saw as superior due to my dyslexia in my younger years. I always felt judged by those I saw as my academic superiors and with the benefit of hindsight I can now see that what I was seeing, as there judgement, was no more than me judging myself.

The negative emotion of air is judgment and it is one of the emotions that disconnects us from each other as it makes one better and one worse. Eg beautiful/ugly, fat/thin, smart/dumb etc. That is one of the reasons that I like the Elements, for as we begin to understand our own element and the elements in others we can begin to celebrate the differences rather than judge them.

Walking around Quirigua was not such a special time for me. Others described it as their favorite site; for me it was uncomfortable as I relived my previous judgments of myself and others. It was then that I was attacked by thousands of little midges or small black flys which appeared out of nowhere and attacked those who had not sprayed themselves with insect spray.

I found that during this trip that when I said anything or judged anything that within minutes I was being challenged by it. This happened twice within an hour at Quirigua. I watched as the midges had attacked Raphael and inflicted hundreds of bites. I said that I would normally be the one who would be bitten and I did not have one bite. My smugness did not last long as within a minute I was covered in bites.

You think I would learn but no, not me. Only minutes later I was saying how on these trips I bring first aid kits and Homoeopathic remedies and I end up treating others as I don't get sick. This time it took about fifteen minutes as the first signs of Montezuma's revenge started gurgling up inside me.

Quirigua was an interesting challenge, it taught me about judgement and it also taught me that the logical aspect is important but only if it is in concert with the heart; for the heart sees the connection in all things where the mind sees the individual.

Copan

"Copan is the ether aspect of the cities of light. It is the most powerful site in the Maya lands and it is renowned for its magnificent Maya Ruins and dozens of living Stela. Copan's rich stone sculptures and intricate hieroglyphs make it an incomprehensible mystery on the 'La Ruta Maya.' The entire area is shrouded in mystery. Stories of UFO sightings abound throughout the surrounding villages. Its rich stone sculptures and intricate hieroglyphs are legendary. During the reign of its most illustrious king, Waxak Lahun Ubah K'awil (also known as '18 Rabbit), the royal sculptors displayed their innovative talents in many Stelae that we're commissioned by 18 Rabbit. The hieroglyphic stairway, a stairway into the sun, includes the longest single glyphic text found at a Maya site.

"There are many things that draw the spiritual traveler to Copan. Several translations have been offered regarding the meaning and purpose of Copan. Copan means 'Xuxpi' or Xukpi,' which is related to an inner dimensional Celestial Bird. According to the mystical world of the Mayas, the Celestial Bird was in charge of taking your spirit from one place to another. You can see the Celestial Bird in Copan's temples such as Rosalila. Copan could be considered a 'bridge' or 'Copantl,' which means 'pontoon or bridge.' there are those that think Copan is a bridge between dimensions and is by many considered the most powerful site in the Mayan world.

"It is also home to the Butterfly Man (from Copan)

"Copan, has also been called the Valley of the Kings and is located in the western part of Honduras. It was a great Mayan civilization and was governed by an enlightened dynasty for centuries. Most of the Mayan Archeological sites today bear the name given to them by their discoverers. In the case of Copan it is different. According to Don Diego Garcia de Palacio's letter, which is considered as the first written account of these remarkable ruins; it assures us that these ruins were known by this name during the 16th Century. Investigations have not yet agreed on the Etymology of the word 'Copan.' Several translations have been offered regarding its meaning such as 'bridge,' 'Capital of Co.' Others say it comes from the Nahuatl language and they add the ending 'tl,' thus converting it to 'Copantl,' which means 'pontoon or bridge.'

"While we are in Copan I will take you to the new museum, 'El Museo de las Esculturas.' You start entering the museum as if you are entering the mouth of a snake. You then continue walking through a long dark tunnel, representing the excavated tunnels in the inside of the Acropolis. It also symbolizes Xilbaba - The Mayan Underworld. At the end of the tunnel you will see a replica of the famous Rosalila temple. It is quite a moving experience.

"In Copan, we can seal in all the energy, light and wisdom which we have collected along our journey through the cities of light, with the help and power of the sun. It is here that many enlightened ones discovered a bridge within. The bridge allows one to transform themselves and transmit themselves to another world or reality. It is here that the emergence of the dove was completed. This is where one could literally walk into the sun.

"The Mayans believed that the ancestors came from the Pleiades. The Mayan Indians knew the earth was round centuries before the Europeans made this discovery and the Mayan calendar is a mathematical and spiritual gift to mankind.

"The Popul Vuh states that several Gods, including Hung Hpu, Xbalanque and the Great God-King Quetzalcoatl, returned to the stars after their earth life ended. As with all myths about the Mayan Gods and Goddesses, Mayan myths discuss connections with beings from other realms who came to earth to seed the planet.

"Many people see the story of Popul Vuh as the story of extraterrestrial Gods who came down and made man in his own image. When they first made man he was so perfect - living as long as they did. They could see far and wide using their senses of clairvoyance, clairsentience and clairaudience."

For me Copan was all about the Dancing Jaguars. All through the sites we visited there seemed to be a seriousness. In fact we had only seen one smiling face and that was on a head that we found in a pile of rocks. I always thought enlightenment was about lightening up and the Mayan sculptures did not seem to be light. That was until we saw the Dancing Jaguars. Two fat waterlilly jaguars dancing and pointing towards each other or were they pointing towards the jaguar god. Anyway, I sat between the dancing jaguars and underneath the jaguar god and meditated. It was only a couple of minutes into the meditation that I began to understand that the jaguar was the keeper of the time continuum and as we had come out of the previous age it was their energy that would bring in the new age or the next 5,125 year cycle.

Copan is the ether aspect of the Cities of Light and having worked on all the elements in the previous sites I found it the easiest and most pleasurable. It was also perfect that my birthday occurred when we were in Copan and at dinner that night the group celebrated my birthday, just like they had done with Norm on the previous night. Knowing what to expect I  ran from my table and hid when the lights went out. The look on the waitresses was precious, when they could not find me at the table. Not one to be normally stuck for words I was deeply touched by the gesture and my large piece of birthday flan or whatever it was.

One of the things that I enjoyed most on this trip was not the sacred sites and the pyramids, although they were wonderful and they initiated a number of visions that I am still trying to understand. It was the fun and friendship that I enjoyed with the group. Each night over dinner and a glass of red wine, stories were told and fun was had. Of course some of the group were louder and at times very entertaining. I would put Tod, Norm, Tas, Enrique and maybe even myself at the louder end of the group. It was brilliant to watch as the group which had been fairly serious on the first few days came together and began to lighten up and really get to know each other. I am sure some of the conversations were much deeper than they would have had at home with their own family and friends and yet at the same time there was a lightness and playfulness to it.
There is so much more that happened on this journey to the lands of the Maya; a journey that was made easier by Aluna and her support team of Rapahael, Enrique, Norm and a cast of thousand energies that pervaded the sites, but I will leave that to others to tell. My hope is anyone who reads these blogs will think about taking a journey to the lands of the Maya and be open to anything that happens when you get there.

************

My new book the 33rd Sage and the Initiate is available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and many other wonderful bookstores and online sellers. If you want to read more about 'The 33rd Sage and the Initiate,' have a look at my website on www.the33rdsage.com or my translatable blog at http://33rdsage.blogspot.com.au/

Twitter@geofspalding

Facebook -The 33rd Sage

No comments:

Post a Comment