Saturday 27 October 2012

The Real Me - the person behind the 33rd Sage

The Real Me


Hello All,

I have been writing these blogs for a over a year now and in that time I have had thousands of readers from over fifty countries. Firstly I would like to thank you all for dropping in to spend a few minutes reading my blog. I write the blog in the hope that I can share some of the wonderful teachings I have received during my own spiritual quest over the last thirty years. If you have read my first book 'The 33rd Sage,' you will get a feel for what happened to put me on the spiritual path and in the second book 'The 33rd Sage and the Initiate,' you will gain a deeper insight into my life and journey.
Today I am not here to flog either of my books, although I guess a writer still needs to eat and somedays I like a second Decaf Latte, today I want to give you my dear reader a deeper insight into who I am. I am doing this because of a couple of conversations I have had of late. The first was a person I have known for seven years; someone who I would call a dear friend and someone I could talk to about anything. The funny thing was that when she read an early draft of 'The 33rd Sage and the Initiate,' she said she learnt more about me in a few short hours than in our seven year friendship. The second person was someone who I still call a friend although I had not seen him in twenty years. We caught up for coffee and after a few minutes of reminiscing about the old days we both shared what we had been up to since we last saw each other. It was in talking about a journey that we took together twenty years earlier; a journey in the search for an indigenous medicine man. We jumped in his car and drove for many hours before arriving at the site where hopefully we would meet our medicine man. Of course we never found him, that was not spirits intention. Later that evening something strange happened in a meditation that still affects me till this very day. Over coffee I shared what had happened to me that evening and my old friend was shocked. He was one of my close friends and he had shared that journey with me and I had not shared with him what had happened.
Both these episodes made me reflect on on why I hadn't shared the real me to even my closest friends.
This story may be about me, but in reality it is about all of us. How much of yourself do you share with those who are closest to you. Do you not share because you are scared of sharing who you really are? Do you think that your friends will think you are mad or if you share everything there will be nothing left? All of these are good reasons, but what if not living in who you are is holding back your spiritual growth. Each of ushas an individual spark of the godforce and I believe it is our duty; more than that, it is our imperative to be who we are in every moment of our time on the earth. I guess that is why I spend a lot of time in my blogs talking about understanding yourself and releasing the beliefs in your subconscious mind that are holding you back from being the beautiful being that you incarnated on this earth to be.
Stop for a moment and ask yourself if you are living the life you always dreamed of living? If you are answered no, then it is never too late. Some of the greatest, writers, painters and inventors did their greatest works in their seventy and eighties. Whatever age you are Spirit is still there to guide you on your way.
A year ago I gave up a well paid job doing something I loved to follow the yearning of my inner spirit to just write. My first book had just been published and I felt proud of my achievement, but there was something missing. People who red it loved it. Many people red it a number of times, each time learning and seeing ideas and concepts that were not there the first time they red it. The interesting thing for me was that when I first wrote it I had not even planned to put many of the concepts in the story. It started out as a nonfiction book about the teachings that I received from an old Chinese teacher. A few hundred words in and there was a change as a character came into my mind and began to tell me the story that became 'The 33rd Sage.' It was not the book that I wanted to write, it was a book that almost seemed to be written through me.
Just before I gave up the job to write I was seeing a couple of naturopaths who were trying to help me sleep better. I had not had a full nights sleep in over twenty years. I would sleep for about ninety minutes and then wake up, soon I would go back to sleep only to wake up another ninety minutes later. It was while treating me that the work they were doing was having a profound effect on me, but not in the way I planned. I still don't sleep any better but that is not why spirit drew me to see them. I started to share with them and others what I was really feeling and stories about my spiritual journey that I had kept hidden. Not only did these stories free up a part of me that was stuck, but they had a genuine affect on the lives of the people I came into contact with. Rather than think I was mad it allowed them to find there own voice or courage to make changes in their lives. It was in the telling of story that I realized I could have the greatest impact with my journey and the more I opened my heart to people the more at peace I became.
It was after their treatment that I had no other choice but to leave my job and write. The second book 'The 33rd Sage and the Initiate,'  was the easiest story that I have ever had to write because it was my journey. Once again I started to tell the story as nonfiction with early title of 'My Other Life,' being the life that I had never really shared with people. This time I was about twenty thousand words in when Conway the main character from my first book took charge and made it into his story. He is a cheeky controlling bugger, but I like him anyway. I fought with him for a few chapters but he seemed to have a better memory of my life than I did and in the end I let him tell the story.
When I write now I check in with the heart to see what about I am feeling and allow whatever is within to come out and express itself on the page. It was difficult to express these feelings when I was young because I was dyslexic and had difficulty sharing my stories or thoughts on paper. My old Chinese teacher helped with the dyslexia, but the greatest change in my life came in 1989 when I was given, a very early version of a laptop. It was the most freeing experience of my life. The beauty of the computer was that, although I was only a one finger typist, I was able to keep in memory the thoughts that I wanted to share. This was so different from when I tried to write on paper, when the very act of writing switched off my mind and I could remember nothing of what I wanted to share.
Thanks again to all the readers of books and blogs a you continually inspire me to continue writing and wandering on my spiritual adventure.
Blessings and peace. I only hope my blogs and stories inspire and encourage  others on their own journeys.

**********

My new book the 33rd Sage and the Initiate is available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and many other wonderful bookstores and online sellers. If you want to read more about 'The 33rd Sage and the Initiate,' have a look at my website on www.the33rdsage.com or my translatable blog at http://33rdsage.blogspot.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment