Wednesday 24 October 2012

Oprah, Paul Coehlo and Jessie


Oprah, Paul Coelho and Jessie have been three of the greatest influences in my life. In many ways it has been their influence that has made me the man I am today. One who I am only just starting to enjoy. The first two are well known, but who is the Jessie that I refer to? I will put her aside for a moment, although she is the glue that holds this little story or window into the me, the writer, together. We will meet her a little later and the wait will be worth the effort.

Oprah and Paul came to me at a similar time and they both inspired me in oh so many different ways. I was suffering with a disease which today would be called Chronic Fatigue, but in the early 1980's it was barely known and poorly understood. It was at the time when I had only recently met the Old Chinese teacher who I write about in my first book the 33rd Sage. It was a time when I was barely able to move, for the old man's remedies had not cured me physically but they were certainly having an affect on me spiritually.

It was during this period when my spiritual journey was just starting, its first tentative steps, that Oprah and Paul came into my life. They never knew me, but like millions of others I was affected by them. Sitting on the couch, not able to do much else, I turned on the television to be confronted by a young black woman called Oprah. She intrigued me. Over the next few years she inspired me, not only to go beyond my illness, but to make a difference in the world.

After a couple of years of being inspired by Oprah, Paul Coelho waltzed into my life. It was a humble beginning. A friend, who noticed I was changing, gave me a copy of the Alchemist. At first, it lay on a pile of well meaning books given to me by my friends who wanted to help me live a more fulfilling life. I wanted to change; needed to change. Oprah was helping and each day her dose of inspiration kept me going. One day after watching a program about people overcoming their weaknesses;  they encouraged others to take action. I was inspired but I did not know what action to take. It was then that I looked at my pile of books. Maybe that was the place to start, I thought to myself. I picked up the top book because it was the book on top, not for any other reason. It just so happened to be the Alchemist. When I started to read, I was captivated by the young shepherd Santiago and his journey to Egypt, after having a reoccurring dream of finding treasure there. I could not put it down. After a few short hours I sat stunned. When you want something bad enough the universe conspires to help you get it. It was as if the universe was conspiring with me to help me change. I wanted to change. I wanted a more spiritual life and it was occurring. I had not even noticed it occurring. In a matter of a couple of years I had met a number of wonderful teachers and now I was on my own quest, the quest for inner truth. It is a wonderful journey that continues today. A journey which has taken me to over 25 countries and allowed me to meet some amazing people.

What of Jessie I hear you say. Don't worry I have not forgotten her. I was hoping you were hearing her voice through this whole story. Jessie was my mother. She was not famous, but she influenced me in more ways than I could ever describe. It was her that always gave me the courage to fight on, even at my worst times. It was her that gave me the great respect for women; no it was more than that. It was Jessie that showed me how powerful women were and yet most men don't see it because their power is on the inside. One short story that will show the courage and conviction that my mother gave to me was the story around the birth of myself and my twin brother. A twin brother, yes there is two of me running around. We look the same but god made us the mirror image of each other. We were born very premature at about thirty weeks and we were not thriving. In fact one of the daycare nurses told my mother that we would be lucky to survive, let alone thrive. My mother did not argue with the nurse but in her heart she knew she would do everything for her twins. One of her greatest joys was twelve months or so later taking us back to the daycare nurse and showing her two bouncing baby boys. That was the kind of woman my mother was. Whenever things were tough, she would simply put her head down and silently push a little harder.

In my life I have been lucky to have been surrounded by strong females. That is why in my books I always have a strong female character. In life, as in my books, the male character could not achieve his goals without the support of the women in his life.

Nearly everyone of us has heroes that inspired us in our adult lives. It is easy to remember what they taught you. But what of your parents and especially your mother; what did she teach you. If you sit quietly for a moment you will realize that who you are today is a result of what your parents taught you. Your mother or father may never be an Oprah or a Paul Coelho, but look, in the mirror and you will see them in every ounce of your being.

Thanks Oprah, Paul and Mum.

**********

My new book the 33rd Sage and the Initiate has now been released and is available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, good book shops or on my website at  www.the33rdsage.com

The 33rd Sage and the Initiate


“It was 3 days before the Solstice and the sage must prepare him;” was the beginning  of the stunning first spiritual novel by Geof Spalding. In The 33rd Sage and the Initiate, Geof Spalding once again weaves into this story profound elements of spiritual teaching. This modern day fable allows the reader to access worlds and dimensions which have been previously hidden from view, except to those who have been initiated into the mysteries.

Conway's journey begins when he meets an old hermit who allows him access to the teachings of an ancient brotherhood who guide the evolution of the planet. The brotherhood send Conway off on a quest to discover the true story of Jesus and the Holy Graal. On the quest Conway meets many strange characters who help him on his journey; including an old hermit, a Chinese Sage, a Buddhist Monk, the keeper of the Garden Tomb and a being from another dimension. The quest allows Conway a window into his own soul and the discovery of who he had been in a previous life and the reason he incarnated into the planet at this time and place.

“The 33rd Sage and The Initiate,” takes the reader on the ultimate journey of self-discovery; the journey to find their own inner truth. The key to finding other worlds is to first find them within yourself.

This transformational novel is a must read for anybody who has ever asked the big question why am I here and where am I going? Readers will make the journey with Conway as he walks the path of the initiate and is transformed to a person who has a deep understanding of his place in the universe. In a similar vogue to the Celestine Prophecy and the Alchemist this is a story that changes lives.

Come with Conway as his quest takes from the beaches of Bali, to Portugal and the apparition, to Glastonbury and the Graal, to the Himalayas where he finds love and the ancient manuscripts, to Jerusalem and the tomb of Jesus, to another dimension and to Macchu Picchu where he meets the ancient brotherhood and finally understands the reason for his quest.

Earth and mankind are currently going through great changes. The old mystics called it the quickening. It is now more important than ever to take the journey within because during times of transformational change, your infinite spirit will be your best guide on this magical journey.








No comments:

Post a Comment